Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Well, how far behind am I?! Sorry, it's been a pretty busy month and I let myself get behind. So prepare yourselves for a long one!

"Observe and Report" - Seth Rogen is a mall security officer trying to deal with multiple break ins, the future of his career, his dysfunctional mother and his unrequited love for a perfume girl. I really like Seth Rogen, I have since the days of "Freaks and Geeks," so I really wanted this movie to kick Paul Blart's butt. Unfortunately, the movie left me kind of confused. I'm not really sure what the movie wanted to be: dark comedy, slapstick/character comedy, cop flick, or violent Tarantino-wannabe. I liked the slapstick/character stuff, and the cop stuff was pretty funny, but was floored by the violent and dark bits. Not one for your kids, so if you want a funny mall cop movie, make it "Paul Blart."

"Sunshine Cleaning" - Amy Adams is the girl most likely to that never quite did. Finding herself at a personal crossroads, she starts a business cleaning up after crime scenes. This was a very well-acted, intriguing character study with some funny moments, a la "Little Miss Sunshine." Amy Adams gave us a good peak at her acting chops, and had a tremendous supporting cast to help round out this movie. Fun, sad, very touching.

"Wolverine: X-Men Origins" - Hugh Jackman reprises his role as Wolverine, and explores how he came to be. Wow, that was a fun ride! Wanna go again?!? Please?!? All the best parts of previous X-Men movies, not a whole lot of the crap you endure while waiting for the good stuff. Question: if I buy this one on DVD, am I going to have to buy all of the previous X-Men movies?

"Star Trek" - What if the Star Trek you knew was forcibly changed due to a time-travelling Romulan hell-bent on destroying Spock? Okay, I just forgot X-Men, what was I saying? After years of being forced to watch the original series because my dad loved it, and then having a boyfriend/husband who is a huge Trekkie, I was prepared for this. Except I wasn't. What a lot of fun! I went into it not knowing how many names are in it, and that made it even more fun while I recognized faces and voices. Truly a good movie for the "Star Trek" pantheon, if a wee bit violent for the little 'uns.

"State of Play" - Russell Crowe as a Washington reporter trying to balance friendship and love with a hot breaking story rife with conspiracy. Am I developing a crush for Russell Crowe? Because I thought I was over it until I saw this movie. I do love a political thriller, I like a movie that makes me think and keeps me on my toes. So good job, "State of Play," you were a solid, likable flick. Not the best of the genre by a long shot, but a decent entry.

"The Soloist" - Jamie Foxx plays a mentally disturbed but talented musician, now living on the street, who comes to the attention of a reporter looking for his next personal interest story. Wow. Made me wish I could act, they were that good. The scenes on Skid Row are apocalyptic and depressing, but the characters never dwelt on it, didn't ram a plea for policy change down our throats, and instead made this a movie about two men struggling to understand one another and find a place in their lives for an unlikely friendship. And Whitney would probably want me to add: Robert Downey Jr., welcome home!

"Angels and Demons" - The pope is dead, and the Catholic church is threatened with extinction by an unknown enemy. Tom Hanks reprises his role as the symbologist who just might be able to unravel the mystery and expose the threat. Another one I wanted to like more than I could. I read the book, and maybe my imagination can far outstrip any movie, but films never live up to the way I played it in my mind. Not that this is a bad movie, I liked it better than "DaVinci Code." Plus, no more mullet on Tom Hanks, and that's a good thing. If you liked "DaVinci Code," you should find "Angels and Demons" faster paced with a big juicy mystery driving it.

I should be seeing "Night at the Museum: Battle for the Smithsonian" this weekend, will post as soon as I can. Love and lollipops to you all!

No comments:

Post a Comment